Monday, June 4, 2007

crash [dummy]

I saw it coming. But there was no avoiding it. No escape. Cars to the left; pedestrians to the right. I had to go straight in and take it.

Fourteen seconds earlier, I was on my way to Blockbuster to return my overdue movie. My left hand rested on top of the wheel; my right hand lingered on the stick shift. My seatbelt ran from my left shoulder to the buckle and across my lower waist. My speed was in the high 20's.

Then I saw it. The green SUV pulling across my intended direction of travel. And all of a sudden, the little things that I thought mattted, didn't.

The stick smoothly slipped into second gear as my foot depressed the brake and I tried, to no avail however, to keep the tires from locking up on the slick pavement.

A myriad of thoughts ran through my head. From, "Why did you pull in front of me?", to, "I just fixed that engine."

IMPACT. And both vehicles stopped. I jumped out and ran to see if the woman I hit was ok. A little dazed, fortunately, she wasn't hurt at all.

And as emergency services arrived on scene, for just a moment, Tyler Durden's voice played in my head:
"You just had a near-life expierience!"

No comments: